U.S. Bishops Face Tough Questions on New Abuse Investigation Proposals

By Christopher White, The Tablet’s National Correspondent

As the U.S. Catholic bishops gathered for a closely watched meeting with the hopes of enacting new standards for bishop accountability, debate over the role lay people could have in their oversight dominated day one of the gathering.

While the bishops are slated to vote on new proposals modeled after Pope Francis’s new ‘motu proprio’, Vos estis lux mundi (“You are the light of the world”), as discussions got underway on Tuesday, it became evident that both bishops and the lay experts had serious concerns that the current extent of lay involvement may not be enough to satisfy frustrated lay Catholics who have grown skeptical of the Church’s handling of abuse.

The new universal Church law now makes it mandatory for all clerics and members of religious orders to report cases of clerical sexual abuse to Church authorities, including when committed by bishops or cardinals.

The proposals put before the bishops, meant to enact Vos estis in the context of the United States, would establish a national third-party reporting system to receive complaints of abuse or cover-up and then report it to the appropriate ecclesial authorities. Further, it invests the metropolitan archbishop with the authority to carry out an investigation into a bishop, noting that it is “highly encouraged” for him to “avail himself of an investigator” which could include a number of lay experts, and it leaves it up to the local province to finance the investigation.

Francesco Cesareo, head of the National Review Board (NRB), said that the NRB “remains uncomfortable with allowing bishops to review allegations against other bishops as this essentially means bishops policing bishops.”

The NRB was established in 2002 by the USCCB to monitor the implementation of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, known as the Dallas Charter, which established protocols for the U.S. Church to respond to abuse allegations.

Cesareo went on to say that “lay involvement is key to restoring the credibility of the Church which includes a commitment to transparency. Not involving laity with competence and expertise in leading the review process would signal a continuation of a culture of self-preservation that would suggest complicity.”

He insisted that the directives being voted on specify that the involvement of the laity in investigating must be made mandatory rather than as a recommendation.

Also raising concerns was Colonel Anita Rianes, the Chair of the National Advisory Council (NAC) which advises the administrative committee of the USCCB, who said that a theological reflection on the crisis of cover-up and scandal must be provided beyond a mere administrative response.

Cardinal Blase Cupich of Chicago, and one of the chief proponents of the regional oversight model, took to the floor to note that Vos estis allows for establishment of an “ecclesiastical office” to investigate complaints and suggested that “institutionalizes” lay involvement in the process.

During a press conference on Tuesday afternoon, Bishop Robert Deeley, who serves as Chair of the USCCB’s Canonical Affairs Committee, defended the current proposals, stating that “we are publishing directives as to how a particular document is to be implemented,” referring to Pope Francis’ motu proprio.

“You can’t put into legislation what is not already in the governing document,” he said, noting that the vigorous discussion on Tuesday was the result of more than 5 hours of work on Monday within the committee, which had already discussed many of the proposals raised during the morning session.

Bishop Deeley said that recent uses of the metropolitan to investigate bishops has proven that the model works, citing both former priest and former cardinal Theodore McCarrick of Washington and Bishop Michael Bransfield of Charleston-Wheeling, West Virginia.

Bishop Michael Burbidge, Chair of the USCCB’s communications committee, insisted that the discussions underway are about how to better engage lay people in the process more often, not less.

At the start of the meeting, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, President of the USCCB, said that the bishops had gathered to “further the work of rooting the evil of sexual abuse from our Church.”

“This week we continue a journey that will not end until there is not once instance of sexual abuse in our Church,” he continued.

This past March, Cardinal DiNardo suffered what was described as a “mild stroke” and this meeting marks his first major public appearance since that time. In addition to health complications, the still recovering Texas cardinal has been plagued by recent allegations in his archdiocese of Galveston-Houston that he mishandled a sexual misconduct case involving his former deputy by transferring him to another diocese instead of removing him from ministry.

Cardinal DiNardo refused to address the specifics of that case at a press conference on Tuesday, stating that he had “intense disagreements” over the manner in which it had been reported and adding that he has a long record of fighting abuse.

He, too, defended the metropolitan model and said that while it has taken time to reach this point, “I can’t help but feel a certain amount of hope in light of all of this.”

Monsignor Walter Erbi, the charges d’affaires of the Vatican nunciature, also delivered remarks from Archbishop Christophe Pierre, the pontiff’s representative to the United States.

Archbishop Pierre is currently in Rome for a gathering of all of the Church’s nuncios with Pope Francis, but he used his remarks to make a strong case that the U.S. bishops had benefited from the Vatican’s request to delay last November’s vote for new bishop accountability guidelines until after this past February’s summit of the heads of bishops’ conferences from around the globe.

“A rush to judgment, even for the sake of transparency, is never a guarantee of justice or a good result,” he said.

While Archbishop Pierre’s remarks did not go into specifics of how lay people should be involved in the process of oversight, he said that “the Church needs to listen to the voices and insights of the lay faithful, to make visible the multi-faceted richness of the Church and to engage in a shared process with diversified responsibilities.”

“A bishop cannot think that matters concerning the Church can be resolved by acting alone or exclusively among peers,” he added.

As the meeting kicked off on Tuesday, Pew Research Center released a new study which found that more than a quarter of U.S. Catholics have scaled back their Mass attendance as a result of the latest wave of the abuse crisis, adding further urgency for many bishops in their desire to turn a page on the crisis.

On Wednesday, the U.S. bishops will have regional meetings to discuss the motu proprio before the full body of bishops votes on Thursday.

A two-thirds majority will be required to pass the proposals.

Prison and A Presidential Pardon Later, Alice Johnson Tells Her Story

Currents News Staff

Alice Marie Johnson is free after being released from federal prison after spending 21-years behind bars as a first-time drug offender.

The people she has to thank for her freedom: President Trump and Kim Kardashian.

Alice is living her new life to the fullest, and sharing her story with the world in a new book called “Life After.”

Alice joins us to discuss her life’s new path.

USCCB To Enact New Accountability Guidelines

By Tim Harfmann

The U.S. bishops officially opened their big summit on June 11, planning to enact new guidelines to combat abuse.

The main focus of the guidelines is on the protection of minors and young people, and bishop accountability.

President of the USCCB, Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, in his first major appearance since suffering a stroke in March, led the way.

“We gather this week to further the sacred work of rooting the evil of sexual abuse from our church,” he told the bishops.

This is a task Pope Francis is asking the Church to tackle on a global scale.

Monsignor Walter Erbi, representing the pontiff’s ambassador to the U.S., spoke to the delegates about the importance of getting lay people involved.

“The Church needs to listen to the voices and insights of the lay faithful, to make visible the multifaceted richness of the church and to engage in a shared process with diversified responsibilities,” he said.

Brooklyn Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, echoing those remarks, said the Church needs to be unified.

“We need to look at the collaboration within the Church, that’s key.”

“The whole is stronger than the parts, when we work together, we’re much better off,” he added.

Tuesday’s opening agenda included presentations from two major committees made up of both lay people and clerics from across the country: the National Advisory Council and the National Review Board.

Doctor Francesco Cesareo, Chairman of the National Review Board, said that many eyes are on this highly anticipated conference.

“We find ourselves at a turning point, a critical moment in our history, which will determine in many ways the future vibrance in the Church and whether or not trust in your leadership can be restored,” he said.

“They gave some good advice, some difficult advice that we need to consider seriously because this is lay people looking at us and this is the Church,” Bishop DiMarzio said.

“It’s a microcosm and they usually are on target.”

Currents News for Tuesday, June 11. 2019

On the newscast: The U.S. Bishops in Baltimore are tackling big issues to combat abuse. They’re talking about involving lay people and holding themselves accountable; A Catholic student who’s a math wiz and a champion; Alice Johnson is a free woman thanks to a pardon from President Trump. She’s here to talk about her new life; And you’ll learn why a Catholic nun’s work is in a gallery.

Watch weeknights at 7:00 pm EST on NET-TV in the New York City area on Spectrum, Optimum, and Fios. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive notifications about new content.

Catholic School Student Is a Math Whiz

By Emily Drooby

Julius Dorsey, an 8th grade student at Saint Francis Xavier-Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy has been competing in the Brooklyn and Queens Math Bowl for six years.

Math Bowl is a competition between Catholic schools in the Brooklyn Diocese. It uses an online platform, Mathletics, to get kids excited about the subject using technology. It is a service of CTN.

For one week during the spring season, students earn points when they successfully complete math problems. The class with the most points wins.

“I love math,” Julius said, “math is one of my favorite subjects.”

And he excels in it, often helping his class get into the top five with his high scores.

This year, 19,000 students from 900 classes at 62 local Catholic schools competed.

“The school helped me strive because I know that you have to step up and be a leader because the school is counting on you and if they’re counting on you, you have to fulfill expectations,” said Julius, who started competing as a 3rd grader.

During the competition, he dedicates at least five hours a night to math problems. His success, tenacity and math ability have continuously impressed his teachers and parents.

“My wife and I are extremely proud of this young man” said Reginald Dorsey, Julius’ father.

“During the Math Bow, I was sitting and kind of challenging them, and before, it was kinda before I could even read the whole thing, he already had the answer,” said Julius’ math teacher Lisa Nitzsche.

“It was actually mind-blowing. Basically like, ‘how did you know this, that quick?’”

But Julius credited his parents, his school, and Mathletics for his success.

“I would like to thank Saint Francis Xavier-Queen of All Saints,” the Math Bowl winner said.

“I would like to thank them for giving me every chance, all the opportunities to be here and for helping me develop into the young man I am today.”

Missouri’s Only Abortion Clinic Will Remain Open for Now

Currents News Staff

A St. Louis judge issued a preliminary injunction on June 10, allowing Missouri’s last remaining abortion clinic to remain open as the state decides whether to renew the clinic’s license to perform abortions, Reuters reported.

According to Reuters, with the court ruling, the clinic will continue to remain operational until June 21, the date by which the state must decide whether it will renew Planned Parenthood St. Louis’ license to perform abortions.

If the clinic closes, Missouri would become the first state in the United States without an abortion clinic since the U.S. Supreme Court issued its Roe v. Wade decision in 1973, a ruling that made abortion legal nationwide.

The legal battle between Missouri and Planned Parenthood began in March, when officials refused to renew the clinic’s license, because of health and safety issues. The license was set to expire on May 31.

“There are a number of serious health concerns that still exist at the Planned Parenthood in St. Louis,” Republican state Senator Mike Parson told CNN. “Every step should be taken to ensure that all laws are followed for safety and well-being of women’s health care.”

During the week the clinic’s license was set to expire, a judge ruled to temporarily keep the clinic open and operating, citing “immediate and irreparable injury” if the clinic were to close.

On June 4, a St. Louis judge heard arguments from pro-life and pro-abortion groups regarding the possible closure of the clinic.

Planned Parenthood St. Louis sees about 3,000 women for abortion services a year in a state that has some of the strictest abortion laws in the country, banning abortion at eight weeks of pregnancy

Rebuilding Notre Dame – First Mass to Take Place Since Fire

Currents News Staff

The Notre Dame Cathedral will open its doors for the first time this Sunday since a fire ravaged the landmark almost two months ago.

The Mass will be celebrated by the Archbishop of Paris, Michel Christian Alain Aupetit. It will take place in a small side chapel with twenty people taking part.

The Mass will be broadcast live so that Christians from all over the world can participate.

This Sunday is the anniversary of the consecration of the cathedral’s altar.

‘Pop-Art’ Nun Has First Solo Show in a Decade

Currents News Staff

From now until June 22, pop-art fans can catch a glimpse of some well-known contemporary pieces from Sister Corita Kent in Manhattan.

Sister Corita Kent was born Frances Elizabeth Kent. When she was 18 she joined California’s Order of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

While there she learned the art of printmaking. Her Catholic faith became her pop-art muse until her death.

A star in her own rite, her artwork from the 1960s through the 1980s now hangs in the same museums as artists like Andy Warhol – some right here in New York.

And this month, Sister Corita’s artwork is in its first New York Show in a decade.

“One of things that’s really interesting about Corita’s work is that she was really – even though she was making most of this work in Los Angeles – a lot of it does kind of have this relationship to the streets. So, it was really, you know, kind of about, a lot of it was by looking at the environment she was living in,” said Alex Fitzgerald, the Associate Director of the Andrew Kreps Gallery.

At Spring Summit, USCCB Focuses on Protection and Accountability

By Tim Harfmann

Arriving for the highly-anticipated conference, Catholic leaders from across the United States are planning to tackle bishop accountability and the protection of minors from clerical abuse.

Brooklyn Auxiliary Bishop Witold Mroziewski said that it is their top priority.

“We try to do our best, all of us are very concerned about the situation,” he said.

The bishops were also concerned in November, the last time they gathered in Baltimore.

Thinking they would address a code of conduct, bishops planned on voting on new guidelines for bishop accountability.

But USCCB President Cardinal Daniel DiNardo started the conference with an unexpected announcement.  

“I need to open our time together with an important announcement,” he told the bishops.

“At the insistence of the Holy See, we will not be voting on the two action items in our documentation regarding the abuse crisis. That is the standards of accountability for bishops, and the special commission for receiving complaints against bishops.”

The Vatican wanted the bishops to wait until Pope Francis held his global summit focusing on abuse, which took place in February.   

Back in Baltimore, bishops like Kevin Vann of Orange, California addressed fellow clerics during November’s conference, committed to righting the wrongs of the past.   

“I came from a diocese that was damaged, gravely damaged for 16 years and beyond, by the predatory behavior of the diocesan bishop,”  Bishop Vann recalled.

“So this is very personal for me. I know what happened, so we really have to give a clear response.”

Before the U.S. conference concluded, Cardinal DiNardo pledged to follow through.

“We’ll work on finalizing the standards of accountability for bishops, finalizing the protocol for removed bishops, and studying national guidelines for the publication of lists of names of those clerics facing substantiated claims of abuse,” he said.

This time around, the bishops are determined to vote on new accountability standards, something Bishop Witold says is “very important, because we are united as one body.”

Currents News for Monday, June 10, 2019

On the newscast: A helicopter crashes onto the roof of a Midtown Manhattan skyscraper. There’s no indication that terrorism was involved in the deadly incident; New York City’s response to the surging measles epidemic is by slammed by experts. Brooklyn is at the center of the outbreak; A new Brooklyn priest has a joyous Sunday, celebrating Mass and his Nigerian culture; And Pope Francis welcomes a train-load of kids today.

Watch weeknights at 7:00 pm EST on NET-TV in the New York City area on Spectrum, Optimum, and Fios. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive notifications about new content.