St. Helen’s Church Broken Into a Third Time

Currents News Staff

After being robbed twice in four months, St. Helen’s Church in Howard Beach, Queens was broken into a third time on July 14 following the church’s two o’clock Baptisms.

Surveillance footage of the incident shows that at around 2:55pm, a man used brute force to break down the door to the church’s sacristy.

Father Francis Colamaria, St. Helen’s pastor, suspects the man is a “drug addict looking for money.” 

“Sacristies in churches are the main hub,” he explained. “This is where precious items are kept [such as] money that is collected and put in a safe.”

Prior to the most recent break-in, the church used a Dutch door that had five locks including an electronic lock. They also had alarms set in place and security cameras. 

“Now I’m going to have to fully alarm the church,” said Father Francis. “It’s gonna be Fort Knox.”

According to Father Francis, at the time of the robbery the church was empty and the doors had been left open.

“He waited for everyone to vacate. He checked the poor boxes, which were empty, and broke through the door and discovered that everything else was locked.”

Father Francis is concerned that the church isn’t the robber’s last stop. 

He cited these robberies to a “rampant drug problem” that he believes will cause parishioners to look at the church as a “soft target.” 

But, he doesn’t think it will turn parishioners away.

“What’s the next soft target,” he asked, “the old lady walking down the street with a purse?”

“If [this individual does] one soft target, this individual will probably do another soft target.”

There was a time when St. Helen’s was able to leave its doors open for visitors to light a candle and to just sit and pray, but now the church is empty.

“The church is dark and it’s never dark,” said Father Francis. “This church would always have people in it at this time of day.”

He now has to lock his church’s doors to try to keep people from breaking in, but at the same time, lock out those who just want to pray or light a candle.

“I gotta keep locking my church now,” said Father Francis. “Who wants to lock churches? I don’t.”

“Outraged” by the robbery attempt, Father Francis also said that the robber should “absolutely” be punished.

“We received more than 22,000 hits on our Facebook page. People are interested in stories like this because they are outraged.”

Father Francis will try to do what he can to protect the church, but believes he can only do so much and can’t prevent a break-in.

The robber destroyed the five locks on the door to the sacristy and a cross from Jerusalem that was resting on the cabinet door to the safe.

Da Vinci’s ‘Saint Jerome in the Desert’ Restored and on Display

Currents News Staff 

In March of 2019, the Vatican paid tribute to Leonardo Da Vinci on the 500th anniversary of his death with a free exhibition of one of his most important pieces, ‘Saint Jerome in the Desert.’

Until June 22, pilgrims from all over the world were able to admire the piece. It was the first time the artwork was shown outside the Vatican Museums.

“Five hundred years have passed since Leonardo Da Vinci’s death and next year will be 500 years since Raphael’s. So all the museums in the world are working to celebrate these two important dates with dignity. The Vatican is fortunate to have the only Roman work by Leonardo Da Vinci,” said Guido  Cornin, Scientific Delegate of the Vatican Museums. 

The piece, done between 1486 and 1490, shows St. Jerome repenting in the desert. He is dressed as a hermit, about to hit his chest with a rock.

Yet, the subject of the work is not as important as the technique Leonardo used to paint the background.

“The background of the painting is a sketch. It is unfinished, but shows the first indications of a rocky, chipped landscape. We later learn to recognize it in Leonardo’s other works like ‘The Virgin of the Rocks,’ ‘The Virgin and St. Anne’ or in the ‘Mona Lisa,’” Cornini explained.

The exhibition included interactive panels that explain and allow the visitor to “interact” with the artist. In addition to the canvas, the exhibition displayed the only document that proves that Leonardo Da Vinci spent a period of his life in Rome.

“It proves Leonardo’s presence in Rome in 1513. It is a payment he made to Giuliano Reno. He was an architect who helped other artists, like Bramante, on Vatican works. It is the only explicit document that proves the presence of Leonardo in Rome,” Cornini said.

The Vatican Museums restored the piece so that it could be exhibited around the world. After its time in Rome, it will be displayed in New York starting in July 2019, and then in Paris. 

Still Filled With Debris, Notre Dame Awaits Start of Restoration Work

Currents News Staff

Three months after the disastrous fire which devastated one of the world’s most famous landmarks, the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris, CNN had the rare opportunity to tour the work site for a look at what progress has been made in cleaning up the debris and down laying the groundwork for the reconstruction, which French President Macron says he wants completed in just five years.

While tourists still make their way to Notre Dame in Paris, these days their holiday snapshots might look like they visited a construction site.

Whether from an overabundance of caution, or because those overseeing Notre Dame’s rise from the ashes have never dealt with anything quite like this before, the work site is a high security zone where few are let in. 

And given the high concentration of lead from the melted roof, those who are also required to wear special protective jumpsuits.

On the roof, a gaping hole now stands where the fire burned most fiercely three months ago. 

Lead and other debris still litters the parts of the vaulted ceiling, which did not give way during the blaze, leading to worry that the extra weight could still bring down parts of the building. 

For the moment, the chief architect is concerned about shoring up the flying buttresses which support the walls and vaulted ceiling. huge, precisely engineered wooden braces have been put in place beneath the ancient stonework to prevent it from shifting. 

But no one is talking about rebuilding just yet. It could be another nine months or more before that gets underway. The chief architect says the building is in such fragile condition, it could still possibly collapse.

Work has been proceeding very slowly, as debris still remain in the central nave area of the cathedral.

the engineer on site, Jean Michel Guilment, said studies need to be made when the walls of Notre Dame are thoroughly dried out to determine how much weight they can bear. 

Still, he believes President Macron’s 2024 deadline for rebuilding Notre Dame is possible.

“I think by mobilizing everyone and by really committing large teams and major companies it’s doable. It’s absolutely doable but we mustn’t waste time,” he said. 

Meanwhile, treasures of Notre Dame like the religious relics which were rescued during and after the fire are safely stored away, many at the Louvre museum.

The stained glass windows are gone, taken away for cleaning and protection.

Marie-Helene Didier, the cultural ministry’s conservator on the project said the cathedral’s paintings survived surprisingly well. 

“What reassured us when we made a thorough inspection: we saw that the masterpieces were all intact. there we were delighted, especially compared with the state of the building,” she explained.

So, given the state of the building, Notre Dame’s rescue is cautious and slow. 

Didier described it like working on an archeological dig, with everything burnt timber or scorched stone.

Everything brought out of the cathedral has been marked with a grid number to indicate where it was found, but even the conservators aren’t sure where it all will end up.

They and everyone else working to save Notre Dame know that from a religious, cultural and historical point of view, they are part of a monumental project unlike any before.

Giglio Sunday Tradition Continues with Help From New Lifters

By Tim Harfmann

Tens of thousands of spectators filled the streets of Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

It was Giglio Sunday — the highlight of the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Feast.

“It’s magic. It’s absolute magic. Nothing in the world compares to this,” said Neil Dellamonica, who assists in leading the Giglio lifters.

About 100 men lifted the seven-story, four-ton tower by its steel beams. At the top is a statue of Saint Paulinus, an Italian saint.

The 116-year-old tradition continued thanks in part to the parish’s first-ever recruitment drive.

“It not only ensured lifters for the future, but it got a lot of people’s attention about the feast. Also, a lot of young people got involved in it that weren’t,” said Monsignor Jamie Gigantiello, the church’s pastor, of the nearly 80 new lifters that signed up.

Sammy Ciorciari was one of them. The 46-year-old grew up in Williamsburg and attended the feast as a child. Now a Long Island resident, he wanted to return to his roots and help a fast-changing neighborhood retain memories of the past.

“To be back to lift, to have that opportunity, is all I wanted. It’s kind of like an aspiration to be a lifter one day,” said Ciorciari.

For others, like John Durante, being part of the feast runs in the family.

“My father’s been coming here, his father was coming here, over 111 years Durantes have been coming here and lifting this Giglio,” said Durante.

He’s now sharing the experience with his children. Durante’s seven-year-old son, Joseph, already understands the tradition.

“It celebrates saints and the Church and how much you should love Jesus and how He sacrificed Himself,” said Joseph.

The men consider lifting the Giglio a sacrifice of themselves by hoisting the structure as a penance for those who can’t and as a way of remembering their deceased loved ones.

“I feel like they’re right here under the Giglio with me,” said Ciorciari, who lifted in honor of his cousins.

Dellamonica said new members like Ciorciari will keep the tradition alive for another 116 years; “It’s nice to see some enthusiasm in it once again, and it’s also nice to see that all these people want to be involved.”

If you missed Giglio Sunday, there are two other opportunities to watch the lifters: Wednesday, July 17 beginning at 7pm and Sunday, July 21 beginning at 1:30pm.

 

 

Currents News for Friday, July 12, 2019

On the newscast: An in-depth half-hour dedicated to the fight against religious persecution around the globe. Political and religious leaders are saying the 21st century is seeing the largest scale of anti-religious persecution since the end of the cold war. Currents News reviews past coverage of this world-wide crisis ahead of next week’s global summit in Washington D.C to protect religious freedom and what’s being done to help those who are being persecuted for their faith.

Watch weeknights at 7:00 pm EST on NET-TV in the New York City area on Spectrum, Optimum, and Fios. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive notifications about new content.

Fitted With Prosthetics Legs, Youth Hockey Player Hits the Ice

Currents News Staff

Inspirational stories of athletes are one of the best things about sports, and they exist at every level.

As far as her coaches knew, Lily Rosenthal was just another goalie at former Olympian Jinelle Siergiej’s Crazy Eights hockey camp in Hartland, Wisconsin. 

When Lily’s parents signed her up, she asked that they didn’t mention one small detail – she has two prosthetic legs. 

“I just wanted to surprise them,” explained 12-year-old Lily. 

In her goalie pads on the ice, no one can tell she is a bilateral amputee. 

“That’s a thing about hockey I kind of like,” said Lily’s mother, Laura Rosenthal. “I want people to see her as a player, and not as a player with prosthetic legs.”

Lily’s parents adopted her from northwest China as a toddler. She was born without a fibula in both legs, club feet and missing toes. At three years old, her legs were amputated at the ankle.

“Once the cast was off and she was fitted for prosthetics, she was off and running,” said Laura Rosenthal. “If she wanted to try something, we didn’t stop her. I don’t think we could.”

Lily wanted to be a goalie, like her sister. She stops pucks with whatever she’s got – glove, blocker and legs too.

Instead of focusing on her legs, Lily decides to keep her head in the game. 

“If you think of them, you’ll just get scored on,” said Lily. “You just have to be in the game.”

Siergiej, a 2010 silver medalist, is very much inspired by Lily, and said that she is an inspiration to the girls on her team.

“I’m just very inspired by her. I have a camp of 88 girls here [and] they all noticed Lily,” she said. 

“I think it would be hard for them not to be inspired by her. She works hard and she’s not letting it limit what she wants to do.”

Lily’s family says the coaches on all her teams have been supportive. Right now, she plays with the DC Diamond Girls in Waunakee.

 

California Fire Department Welcomes Twelve Babies Following Massive Wildfire

Currents News Staff

Over the past year, a dozen bouncing babies have been born to parents employed by the Redding, California Fire Department, creating a baby boom in the Golden State after the area dealt with a devastating fire.

“After the Carr fire, after we all went through something emotional,” explained Kimberly Hanlon, the wife of one of the Redding firefighters. 

The Carr fire burned 229,651 acres across California’s Shasta and Trinity counties in August of 2018. 

“We all got together, and were telling each other what was happening, and we all kind of figured out we were all pregnant together.”

With 12 babies and nine moms, among the group are three sets of twins. 

Now, they call it one big family.

“It’s a big team effort, very family oriented and I think that’s one of the things that’s one of the reasons we love this job and being able to help each other out family and friends,” said dad and firefighter Garrett Claycamp. 

On the night the Carr fire barreled into redding, with eight of their husbands out on the fire lines and 6 of the wives pregnant at the time, the group, fearing the worst, grew even closer. 

“That night my husband was working and, you know, he told me he loved me through text. A lot of us actually got that text that we love you very much, Hanlon said. 

“You don’t want to be alone raising babies, but like I said, we have a good support group here. it’s amazing the women in the family how we are bonded together. We actually communicated day and night, 24/7.”

It was a hard time,” she recalled, “especially being pregnant everyone, you know, trying to get together and help each other.” 

Nearly one year later, the community has a sign of new life and growth in the form of tiny fingers and toes, signaling hope for the future within the Redding fire family.

“We are going to have a lot of play dates and a lot of kids and probably tantrums and good times together, yes,” said Hanlon.

As 9/11 Victims Fund Bill Heads to Senate, First Responders Remember Those Who Saved

Currents News Staff

The 9/11 victims fund bill has a long name: Never Forget the Heroes: James Zadroga, Ray Pfeifer, and Luis Alvarez Permanent Authorization of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Act. 

Alvarez’s name was added after he passed away in June due to a 9/11 related cancer.

Established in 2011 and renewed in 2015, the law is set to expire next year if Congress doesn’t pass an extension.

“The process has started of relieving the burden in the 9/11 community and for the tens of thousands that have been following us. You have watched grass root activism at its best.  You have watched the american people take the fight to Congress,” said 9/11 first responder John Feal.

Majority leader Mitch McConnell vowed to hold a vote on the fund, although exactly when that will happen isn’t clear.

Its administrator says there isn’t enough money in the fund to pay current and future claims.

The legislation had no trouble getting the needed votes in the Democratic controlled House, but now it will head to the Senate.

“We didn’t wait for Congress to come to us,” Fael explained.

“We went to Congress and these men and women behind me, the champions. And listen: Congress and the Senate, they’re doing their job. I’m never going to congratulate them, but those who stand behind me and beside me, and in front of me, they’re the ones who deserve all the credit.”

 

Anthony Mangano and The Green Book

City of Churches host and actor Anthony Mangano comes back to Walk in Faith to talk with Craig Syracusa about his role in the Academy Award-winning movie, Green Book, which is based on a true story of a tour by African American jazz pianist Don Shirley and Frank “Tony Lipp” Vallelonga. Anthony also talks about his friendship with writer Nick Vallelonga and how their faith allowed them to never give up.

ICE Raids Expected in Major Cities This Weekend

Currents News Staff

President Trump backed down from his effort to add a citizenship question on the 2020 census. However, he’s moving ahead with a plan to deport non-citizens from the country.

“Yeah, we will be removing large numbers of people,” he confirmed.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement are expected to start raids on Sunday, July 14.

“I’ve had kids come up to me at forums with tears in their eyes,” said Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo. “They’re afraid to go to school, they’re afraid to come home and find that their parents have been deported.”

The ICE operation will take place in some of the country’s biggest cities, including Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York. According to a senior official, about 2,000 people are targeted. 

“If you are [to] come to this position, you’ve been here [for] years, you’ve gone through a court system, you’ve been found that you have to be deported, you have to follow the rule of law,” said House Minority Leader, Representative Kevin McCarthy. 

Critics say there are better ways to address the situation.

“We can both secure the border, be compassionate and bring people into the American way of life through a pathway of citizenship and do that in a compassionate way and a way that is economically competitive,” said U.S Representative Tim Ryan. 

These raids were postponed last month, with President Trump saying he was giving both parties time to come up with a solution.

“We are not participating in any raids, we haven’t been asked to participate in any raids and certainly we are obviously a pro-immigrant city,” said Francis Suarez, Mayor of Miami. “What I hope is that the people they’re focused on are people that are very dangerous, because those people shouldn’t obviously be in our community to begin with.” 

President Trump has deported fewer people than his predecessor, President Obama. ICE statistics state that just over 256,000 were deported in the 2018 fiscal year. In the 2012 fiscal year, more than 400,000 were taken out of the country.