Currents News for Monday, July 29, 2019

On the newscast: the final goodbye at a Queens church after a deadly house fire claimed three lives; The big mystery at the Vatican. Hundreds of bones are discovered but they offer no hint about a missing teenage girl; Baltimore Archbishop William Lori is taking on President Trump after his tweet that no one would want to live in the city; And the priest who loves the Mets. He’s not from around here but he’s still a big fan.

Watch weeknights at 7:00 pm EST on NET-TV in the New York City area on Spectrum, Optimum, and Fios. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive notifications about new content.

President Trump Signs 9/11 Victim’s Compensation Fund Bill

By Emily Drooby

For months activists have been fighting for the 9/11 Victim’s Compensation Fund Bill to pass. Supports say that it gives first responders, victims and their families some peace of mind by paying mounting medical bills stemming from their time at the pile.

Most importantly, it reminds America’s heroes that their country is still there for them.

By signing the ‘Never Forget the Heroes Act’ into law, President Trump has made good on that promise to those most affected by that day.

“Today we come together as one nation to support our September 11th heroes to care for their families and to renew our eternal vow, never ever forget,” said President Trump.

On July 29 he signed the legislation which authorizes money for the 9/11 Victim’s Compensation Fund which pays out claims for both deaths and illnesses related to the attack and the recovery effort.

This signing created a long-awaited financial stability for the heroes of 9/11 and their families – stability that for months, first responder John Feal has been fighting for.

“These men and women, uniformed and non-uniformed, the children of Lower Manhattan are sick and dying and their families are being left in financial ruins,” he said.

This is a fight John shared with fellow 9/11 first responder Luis Alvarez, whose testimony in support of the bill just weeks before his death was watched by millions.

“You all said you would never forget, well I’m here to see that you don’t,” he said.

Those powerful words inspired both the House and the Senate to pass the legislation that Alvarez never got a chance to see.

He passed away last month from 9/11 related cancer, but his son spoke out at a press conference in his absence.

“He said that he was coming down here to make sure that you never forget and I want to thank you for not forgetting him, not forgetting all of the other first responders who tirelessly worked to see this pass,” said David Alvarez.

In the 18 years since 9/11, Alvarez’s story has become too familiar. 2,000 deaths have been attributed to 9/11 related illnesses and 10,000 first responders and victims have been diagnosed with cancer.

The dangerous dust and toxins that covered lower Manhattan are now causing those who were exposed to it other devastating diseases.

The bill was named for Alvarez and two other first responders who lost their life to a 9/11-related illness: NYPD Detective James Zadroga and FDNY firefighter Ray Pfeife.

During the signing, President Trump commemorated them, their families and all of the other heroes who risked everything for the U.S. that day.

“You lift up our communities and you remind us all what it means to stand united as one nation under God,” he told them.

The 9/11 fund was in big trouble until heroes like Luis Alvarez and comedian Jon Stewart put Congress in the hot seat. The compensation program was running out of money, with predictions that the number of survivors with related diseases would soar in the future.

Now, the fund is bankrolled until the year 2090.

The estimates are that many will die from the illnesses they contracted while breathing the deadly air there, and experts say the number of deaths from 9/11-related cancers and other diseases will outnumber the almost 3,000 people who died on September 11, 2001.

Family Members Lost in Queens House Fire Laid to Rest

By Tim Harfmann

Three funeral hearses with three caskets could be seen as family and friends carried their loved ones into Holy Child Jesus Church.

Silvia Umana was buried in a bronze casket; her son, Gilbert, buried in blue; and her daughter, Guadalupe, in white. Silvia and her two children, ages 19 and seven, died last week when a fire ripped through their Richmond Hill, Queens home.

According to the FDNY, a damaged air conditioner cord caused the blaze and there were no smoke detectors inside the home.

Only Silvia’s 15-year-old son, Gabriel, survived.

“We’re struggling to get by. We’re taking it day by day. Hopefully God gives us the strength to move on with our lives,” said Ivan Umana, Silvia’s brother.

Bishop Octavio Cisneros, the pastor of Holy Child Jesus Church, presided over the funeral in English and Spanish.

“There is no way that we can say a word that would take away the pain and the sorrow, and the suffering; especially of Gabriel, such a young boy,” he said.

“He’s distraught,” said Ivan, “but he also has the support of the whole family. We have a very strong family unit.”

The teenager and members of his extended family brought up the gifts and were consoled by Bishop Cisneros at the altar.

Gabriel also helped carry his mother’s casket.

“She was the first to graduate from college. She became a pharmacist. She was living the American dream,” Ivan remembered of his sister, a single parent from El Salvador.

Bishop Cisneros said the family has the support of the parish and Catholic academy, where Guadalupe would have been a second-grade student next year.

“The Church has become closer today by being present to one another. The Church has come for what it is, a community of believers supporting and helping one another,” he explained.

“We couldn’t have done it without you guys. We’re grateful for the monetary support. The physical, the emotional and the spiritual support given by the parish over here; we couldn’t ask for anything better,” Ivan added.

The principal of Holy Child Jesus Catholic Academy has set up a donation page for people to help the family.

Taking Precautions for Fires Can Mean Life or Death

By Allyson Escobar and Tamara Laine

Elmhurst — First, there was a loud popping sound. Then crackling, followed by the faint smell of something burning.

Monina Calderon, a nurse and mother of three, was in her Elmhurst home in late 2014, watching TV in the living room when she heard a loud noise, which she described as sounding like “popcorn in the microwave.”

“We thought my daughter was upstairs throwing things — then all of a sudden my husband and son, who were working outside in the yard, were yelling,” Calderon, a parishioner at Church of the Ascension in Elmhurst, told The Tablet. “Get out of the house! They were screaming, ‘There’s a fire in the attic!’ And we ran out, and there was smoke and fire spewing out the upstairs window.”

Calderon says that what she remembers most about that day was the instant fear, as well as gratitude that her whole family was able to get out safely, as the entire upstairs part of her home was burning. Firefighters later determined the cause: a frayed electrical cord (short circuit) in the attic.

Fires in New York City happen fairly often, causing widespread damage, displacement from homes and, sometimes, tragedy.

The FDNY reported over 600,000 incidents in 2018, including 173,072 in Brooklyn and 121,216 in Queens. Last year, fires killed 88 people, the most in over a decade, according to FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro.

Officials say the leading causes are faulty electrical equipment and smoking. In more than two-thirds of fatal fires, there is no working smoke alarm.

A house fire in Richmond Hill on July 21, caused by a damaged air conditioner, claimed the lives of a mother and two of her children, parishioners at nearby Holy Child Jesus Church. Officials didn’t find a working smoke alarm in the home.

“It’s just, you get so many of these funerals, and it just gets to you after a while,” said Msgr. John Delendik, who has served as FDNY’s chaplain for 23 years and is now pastor of St. Jude’s in Canarsie. “I love the job, but I also hate it.”

Fires can be preventable. Retired FDNY chief James Bullock defines fire safety as “stopping the fire before it can happen.”

Bullock said often too much electrical power comes from one outlet in rooms where fires commonly occur, such as the kitchen, laundry room, boiler room and entertainment room.

“Have electricians come in and install a new outlet; don’t keep on using an extension cord,” Bullock advised. “Those are temporary, and not meant to be permanent … And when it comes to air conditioners, make sure [the wires are] connected to a proper outlet and not going to overheat. You also don’t want to run extension cords underneath the rug. They wear out and the wires can fray, and then that causes a fire. And my opinion, never use candles.”

If a fire does occur in the home, Bullock adds, “think about having [an escape] plan ahead of time, not on the day of the fire, and practice it.

When it comes to fire escapes and child gates/bars on the windows, make sure these are still easily accessible from the inside. If locked, the only exit should not be obstructed or require a key.

“Once you’re out of the building and the building’s on fire, do NOT go back in — wait for the fire department. If someone is missing, tell them. Don’t go back inside, or there’ll be two people missing instead of one,” Bullock said.

Asmar Jones, a FDNY firefighter with Ladder 150, is assigned to the fire safety department, which provides free smoke detectors. He said people should have multiple working smoke alarms in their homes.

“It’s [a matter of] life or death — carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless. So even a few drops of CO, you won’t wake up. Early detection is so important, or by the time you wake up, it’s too late,” Jones said. “Families can call us or the Red Cross and receive [smoke alarms] for free; we’ll come to their apartment or home to install them if they live within the city compounds.”

Jones also suggested purchasing a small fire extinguisher, which proves especially useful in fire-prone places like the kitchen.

Most important: Have an escape plan, Jones said.

“In case of a fire so that everybody knows an alternate way out and a meeting place — where they will go and meet in case of emergency. If you’re in an apartment, you’ll want to meet somewhere outside. A perfect meeting place is around the corner, where there’s a call box to call the FDNY or police, and kids can wait there for their family members,” he said.

Update: California Food Festival Shooter Identified

Currents News Staff

New details have emerged regarding a shooting that occurred during the closing hours of the popular Gilroy Garlic Festival in northern California. 

The shooting claimed three lives. Two of the victims were children.

Police have identified the suspect as 19-year-old Santino William Legan, who was killed in a confrontation with police. 

He took the lives of a 13-year-old girl and six-year-old Stephen Romero. The little boy’s mother was also shot, but managed to call her husband.

“She said that they shot my son and they took him from her. I couldn’t believe what was happening. That what she was saying was a lie. Maybe I was dreaming,” said Alberto Romero, Stephen’s father. 

His wife is now in a medically induced coma, and is one of at least 12 injured.

Police say that Legan bought the assault rifle used in the shooting legally in Nevada just a few weeks ago. They responded within one minute of the gunfire, shooting and killing the suspect.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of the officers being able to engage this guy as quickly as they did, because we had thousands of people there in a very small area, and it could have gone so much worse,” said Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee.

Police believe the shooter avoided on-site security at the festival by cutting a hole in the back fence. 

Still uncertain is whether or not the shooter acted alone. Police are investigating the possibility of a second suspect.

Pope Francis to Meet With International Scouts

Currents News Staff

About 5,000 scouts from Europe are coming to Rome from July 27 – August 3 to celebrate the international ‘Euromoot’ meeting, where international youth will aim to grow as Christians and meet other Europeans partaking in the scouting program. 

Participants from 20 European nations are participating in the meeting. Delegations from Canada, the United States and Latin America have also been invited.

The event will culminate in a meeting with Pope Francis. 

This will not be the first time that Pope Francis meets with scouts. In 2015, he received about 80,000 Scouts in St. Peter’s Square.

“In particular, you offer an important contribution to families in their mission to educate children and young people,” he told the scouts during their last meeting.

The intense summer heat is forcing this year’s meeting to be held in the Paul VI Audience Hall. 

Attendees will also be able to participate in Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica, to be celebrated by Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco.

Starting on July 27, they will follow historical routes such as that of St. Francis of Assisi and the path of St. Benedict.

With their special spirit of service, they will share the efforts of their journey in a spirit of fraternity.

Shooting at California Food Festival Leaves Community in Shock

Currents News Staff

A weekend of fun and family at the Gilroy, California Garlic Festival ended in tragedy after a gunman opened fire on attendees, killing three and sending 12 others to hospitals.

Witnesses said that on Sunday, July 28 a band was starting its encore at the annual three-day festival when the crowd heard what they thought were fireworks or part of the production. 

“Two shots rang out first and at the same time the music started, but after a few seconds there were so many shots, there were people falling down. kids falling down,” said one witness.

“It’s so scary, it’s just so emotional,” another witness added. 

Authorities think the shooter used a tool to cut through the fence to gain access to the festival.

“Officers were in that area and engaged the suspect in less than a minute. the suspect was shot and killed,” confirmed Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee.

“To see this event end this way, this day is one of the most tragic and sad things I’ve ever had to see,” he added. 

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI are joining local departments with the investigation.

A possible second suspect is being sought by police, but it’s unclear what role they may have played in the shooting.

California Governor Gavin Newsom said the shooting “is nothing short of horrific.”

Pope Francis Prays for Lives Lost on Mediterranean Coast

Currents News Staff

In the Sunday Angelus, on July 28 Pope Francis commented on what the United Nations called “the worst loss of life this year in the Mediterranean.”

The engine of a boat containing roughly 300 migrants failed before the vessel capsized on July 25, just off the coast of Libya. An estimated 150 are assumed dead.

“I renew a heartfelt appeal so the international community acts promptly and decisively, to avoid the repetition of similar tragedies and guarantee the safety and dignity of everyone,” said Pope Francis.

“I invite you to pray with me for the victims and their families, and ask the heartfelt question: ‘Father, why?’”

This question was also tied in to his reflection on the Our Father. The Holy Father explained how this prayer allows one to call on God like a curious child asking for answers from his or her father.

“In the Our Father, if we stop at the first word, we do the same as when we were children- we attract the Father’s gaze on us,” he explained.

“By saying, “Father, Father”, and by asking, “Why?” He will look at us,” Pope Francis added.

He explained that these questions help form the intimate Father-son relationship that Christ desires with each of his children. In the same way, it spurred the disciples to ask Jesus how to pray, which resulted in the Our Father. 

Ya Gotta Believe: One Church and One Team Connects Visiting Priest to Brooklyn Diocese

By Tim Harfmann

A couple of priests enjoyed watching a New York Mets baseball game on Sunday July 28.

“If they lose, we pray for them. If they win, we celebrate with them,” said Father Martin Adjei. He’s from Ghana and is helping out in the Brooklyn diocese for the summer.

He got hooked on baseball through Father Ed Kachurka, the pastor at Mary’s Nativity-Saint Ann parish in Flushing. That is where Father Martin is assigned.

Father Martin is among the 80 clergy from all over the world who are pitching in this summer, giving the priests of Brooklyn and Queens time to go on vacation or go on retreat.

He made his first visit to the U.S. last summer, and that’s when Father Kachurka had an idea.

“I said, ‘would you like to go to a ballgame and experience baseball here in America?” asked Father Kachurka.

“The first reaction was, ‘what is it about?” Father Martin responded.

He became a fan of the game and quickly set out to learn the rules of baseball.

“There are pitchers, there are catchers; there’s a lot of running and a lot of rules. You have nine innings in the game, and at the end there is a loser and there is a winner,” said Father Martin.

When he returned to Ghana last fall, the priests stayed connected on social media. Their favorite topics were baseball and the Mets.

Father Martin is also on top of what’s happening in the Brooklyn diocese year-round, thanks to the daily newsletters from The Tablet and Currents News.

“This has become my second home. I don’t want to be out of date, let me know what goes on, what Bishop DiMarzio says, what is going on in the diocese so when I come; I will be well integrated in the diocese.”

“He’s a big part of the parish now,” said Father Kachurka. “There was actually a countdown by parishioners, counting the days when he was going to be coming back. That’s how much he’s been loved.”

“The Church is one,” said Father Martin. “Whether in Ghana, in my diocese of Goaso, or in the Brooklyn diocese of New York, the Church is one.”

One Church and one team, for when it comes to the visiting priest – ‘Ya Gotta Believe.’

Currents News for Friday, July 26, 2019

On the newscast: Benedict XVI makes a move. He surprises nearly everyone with his first trip outside Vatican City in four years; Congress investigates the teenage vaping epidemic and one of the industry’s biggest players; A devout Catholic war hero finds out that many people appreciate the sacrifice he made for his country; Hugs and tears at a final graduation that illustrates the enduring strength of Catholic education.

Watch weeknights at 7:00 pm EST on NET-TV in the New York City area on Spectrum, Optimum, and Fios. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive notifications about new content.