NYC Faces First Known Case of Coronavirus as U.S. Concerns Grow

Currents News Staff

The U.S. is on heightened alert following the first two deaths from the coronavirus in the country. The White House coronavirus task force is expressing “great concern” there will be more person-to-person transmissions of the disease on American soil. 

“My concern is as next week or two go by, we’re going to see a lot more community-related cases,” explained Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. 

One of the men was a resident at a long-term care facility in Kirkland, Washington, where officials are monitoring a possible outbreak.

Also in Washington state, and nearby Oregon, a handful of schools are closed for cleaning after people either tested positive for the virus, or are undergoing testing.

“Everyone’s been extra cautious, extra hand washing,” explained Lanie Kelly, a parent in the region. 

These are just the latest precautions being taken following an increase in cases across the U.S., and thousands are being monitored, tested or under some type of quarantine across the country.  

To date, over 80 cases have been reported in the U.S., including the first known case in New York City — a 39-year-old woman who had been working in Iran and returned to New York by plane Feb. 25. 

March 2,  Mayor Bill de Blasio and Governor Andrew Cuomo held a joint press conference where they provided additional information regarding the case and said that the risk of coronavirus in the city remains low.

According to Gov. Cuomo, the woman — a healthcare worker — was aware of the situation and the potential for the spread of the virus, and for that reason did not take public transportation during her travels. 

“We don’t believe that she was contagious when she was on the plane or when she took a private car from the airport to her residence, but out of an abundance of caution, we will be contacting the people who were on the flight with her from Iran to New York and the driver of that car service,” he explained. 

The healthcare worker’s spouse also traveled with her from Iran and is being tested as well.  “We are assuming that he would be positive given the circumstances, and he has been following the same protocols that she has been following,” Gov. Cuomo added. 

Now, lawmakers on Capitol Hill are negotiating a multi-billion dollar spending package to deal with the virus on a national scale. 

Democrats have blasted President Trump for his handling of the virus, at times contradicting the Centers for Disease Control and other medical experts on the severity.

“I think the administration was slow to react in the beginning,” said Democratic Senator Doug Jones of Alabama. “I don’t know if it was just denying the science or what. I think they’re doing a lot more to try and get a handle on this.”

Vatican’s World War II Archives Open to Scholars

Currents News Staff

March 2 marks a moment of truth for the Vatican, as the world waits to discover what is in the archives of Pope Pius XII. 

The archives contain several million letters, cables and documents relating to Pope Pius XII, pontiff during the World War II, who has been accused of not doing enough to help save people of Jewish faith during the Holocaust.

Menachem Rosensaft, executive director of the World Jewish Congress, said the opening of these archives is a “tremendous step forward.”

“I think we need to express our enormous gratitude and appreciation to Pope Francis for taking this step of relying on the verdict of history and handing over to scholars what is the last archive that remains to be explored,” he said.  

The reputation of Pope Pius XII has long been tainted by accusations that he remained silent in the face of the Holocaust.

Dr. Johan Ickx, head of Vatican secretary of state archives, said he has personally reviewed over one million documents, and the accusations against Pope Pius XII are unfounded.

“He was not at all silent, and all his nuncios in central Europe and also in the north of Europe were also actively doing nothing else than trying to save people, people – also jews – people – because that was one of their charges,” he explained. 

From March 2, scholars will be allowed into the Vatican archives to study the files

When Pope Francis decided to open these archives he said, “the Church is not afraid of history,” and that he hopes these files will shed light on what he calls the “hidden but active diplomacy” of Pope Pius XII during the war.

A group of Jewish scholars will also be among those studying the papers.

“We can’t rewrite history,” explained Rosensaft, “but history has to be written based on full evidence and that is what we’re looking for.”

This evidence is now available at the Vatican, waiting for history to be written.

Coming to Christ: New Catholics Prepare to Receive Sacraments

By Tim Harfmann

Walking across the stage, people took their final steps to becoming Catholic on March 1.

Abiola Arawumi was one of them. He attends Mass, but wants more for his life.

“I call myself a Christian, but at the same time I’m not being Christ-like in a way,” he said.

Arawumi will become a full-fledged member of the Church at this year’s Easter Vigil, when he receives the sacraments.

Many of the people attending the ‘Rite of Election’ ceremony are the ‘catechumens,’ meaning they’ll be baptized, confirmed and receive first communion at the vigil.

In the Brooklyn Diocese, there are 484 adults and 84 children who are catechumens.

There are also the ‘candidates,’ baptized Christians seeking a full, Catholic sacramental life.

There will be 413 confirmed and receiving the Eucharist at the Easter Vigil. An additional 105 are Christian converts to Catholicism.

Brooklyn Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio is encouraged by the large group.

“It’s a very good boost because we see people that are enthusiastic about the work of the Church, they want to be part of the Church, so it is really an affirmation,” Bishop DiMarzio said.

Grace Wang, who came from China two years ago, is enthusiastic about receiving her sacraments.

“I had no chance to be a real Catholic in China, so I came here.”

Wang endured her faith despite facing persecution from the Chinese communists.

“Sometimes the government told me no, they don’t allow me to [receive sacraments]. so, for a long time, I couldn’t go the church. I could just pray in my home,” Wang said.

The Easter Vigil will be on Saturday, April 11.

Pope Francis Not Concerned About Coronavirus, Said to Be ‘Slightly Unwell’

By Melissa Butz 

Amidst fears of the coronavirus spreading throughout Italy, Pope Francis is home sick for the second day in a row. He canceled all his meetings for the day, apart from morning Mass.

The 83-year old pontiff first showed signs he was ill on Ash Wednesday, when he was seen coughing while outside in the cold weather.

Feb. 28 he canceled some of his meetings after skipping a penance service with Rome priests Feb. 27. 

Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni has said Pope Francis is “slightly unwell.”

However, Thursday morning Pope Francis met with members of the Global Catholic Climate Movement and Friday morning he celebrated Mass as Casa Santa Marta.

From all indications, the Holy Father is suffering from a mild cold and is not concerned about having the coronavirus since he greeted pilgrims at both events and is still participating in private meetings from his home.

Pope Francis spoke about the virus at his General Audience Wednesday morning. It is spreading throughout Italy, but no one in Rome is infected.

“I want to express, once more, my closeness to the sick infected by the coronavirus, as well as to medical workers caring for them, civil authorities and everyone working to treat the sick and contain the spread,” Pope Francis said. 

Pope Francis didn’t seem too concerned about his health on Wednesday though, as he still toured St. Peter’s Square and even greeted pilgrims.

Most likely, the pontiff is laying low and taking care, especially since he only has one lung. The other was removed as a teenager, likely from an infection.

By resting now, he can be healthy and ready to depart on his week-long, spiritual Lenten retreat in the south of Rome on Sunday afternoon.

The Holy Father is under the care of his personal physician while resting at his home inside the Vatican, Casa Santa Marta.

Currents News full broadcast for Fri, 2/28/20

On the newscast: The latest on the coronavirus; Plus – for a second day – Pope Francis cancels scheduled events after apparently coming down with a cold; A real-life lesson in law and order for Xaverian High School students – inside the Kings County courthouse; Also: Hillary Clinton takes on a very different job; And students at Our Lady’s Catholic Academy in South Ozone Park – marking Black History Month with a unique celebration.

Watch weeknights at 7:00 pm EST on NET-TV in the New York City area on Spectrum, Optimum, and Fios. Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive notifications about new content.

‘In God We Trust’: Catholic Students Learn About the Judicial System

By Jessica Easthope

When Judge Vincent Del Giudice steps onto the bench, he can be pretty tough. 

But his stern public persona is nowhere to be found when he talks about something close to his heart: his alma mater, Xaverian High School in Downtown Brooklyn. 

“My family made it important for me to have a Catholic education, and instilled in me the value of education, and so did the Xaverian brothers and for what you take, you have to give back,” he explained. 

For the acting Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice, giving back looks like this: every year he invites a group of seniors from Xaverian to get an inside look at what it’s like to do his job. 

This year, students who are in a law class toured his chambers and watched him make rulings on some of the many murder cases he presides over. It’s all part of a Catholic education that takes them far beyond the walls of a classroom. 

“It’s great to see all the Xaverian stuff especially behind me,” said senior Edward Conti from the courthouse. “Once you leave, you’re always paying homage to it.”

Although these students got a full rundown of the judicial system what they found most valuable is something you can’t learn in a courtroom or a classroom. 

“We do a lot of things based on community service and what’s right and wrong in terms of the religious aspect,” explained senior Nicole Montana, “so I feel like this ties into that well.” 

“It’s more of a moral thing,” Edward observed of Judge Del Giudice’s duties. “It’s not just this, and that he’s more of a person inside and has to look through the case himself.”  

It’s Xaverian High School that Judge Del Giudice credits for his balanced scales of justice. 

“As a Catholic you use your moral compass in deciding issues, and that’s what I try to instill in these students,” he said.

50 Years Gone, But Not Forgotten: NYPD Hero Remembered at Queens Church

Currents News Staff

A memorial service was held for fallen NYPD Transit Officer and Catholic, Michael Melchiona, who 50 years ago on Feb. 28 was shot while in pursuit of a gunman. 

He left behind a wife, a two-year-old, and a five-week -old infant. Those children and the rest of his family were at the church. 

One of his brothers, Henry, was moved by the cop’s memorial. 

“Michael was 29-years old when he was killed,” Henry recalled

Officer Melchiona grew up on Skillman Avenue, not far from Saint Sebastian Church in Woodside, Queens, where the memorial was held.

Catholic Students Celebrate Black History in Science, Music and Literature

Currents News Staff

The contributions of African Americans to science, literature, music and culture are endless. All month we’ve been celebrating black history and how it has shaped our world today. 

To bring Black History Month to a close, students at Our Lady’s Catholic Academy in South Ozone Park, Queens took on the challenge of celebrating as many accomplishments of African Americans as possible. 

At a school assembly, the kids portrayed historic figures of the past and present.Teacher Kelly Legg, who put everything together, said highlighting Black history is something she does all year long while promoting  the school’s Catholic mission.

“One of the sixth grade classes is performing ‘Joyful, Joyful’ from Sister Act, which is super cool, but it’s also roping in the catholic identity we have,” she explained. 

“I feel like now people are not afraid to show who they are, and that they’re equal,” said Breanna Kahn, a sixth grader. 

This is the first year the school has celebrated Black History Month in such a big way. It plans to hold an assembly during the last week of February every year from now on. 

It’s the First Friday of Lent and You Want a Burger – What to do?

Currents News Staff

Still craving that Friday night burger even though it’s the Lenten season? You could satisfy the craving with a plant-based burger.

But some Catholics are questioning whether meat-less meat violates the spirit of Lent.

One official in the Archdiocese of Chicago says while it’s technically allowed, plant-based “meat” might be contrary to the spirit of sacrifice that inspires the practice of fasting.

U.S. Stocks Continue to Fall Amid Coronavirus Fears

Currents News Staff

The DOW opened 750 points lower on Friday, Feb. 28 — its seventh straight day in the red as coronavirus fears continue to mount.

The broader S&P 500 opened down 2.8 percent, and the NASDAQ composite fell nearly three percent.

All three major indexes are on track for their worst week since October 2008.

Around the globe, financial markets, storefronts, public events and businesses are seeing the strain of the ongoing coronavirus outbreaks.

The World Health Organization said Feb. 28 the risk of the virus spreading worldwide was “very high.” The virus causes an illness known as COVID-19, a new respiratory virus which originated in Wuhan, the capital of Central China’s Hubei province.

Also Feb. 28, South Korea counted 571 new cases of coronavirus, exceeding the number of cases found in China.

According to the Associated Press, Lithuania, Mexico, New Zealand and Nigeria are among the nearly 60 countries to have reported new cases of the virus in the past weeks.

To date, over infected 83,000 individuals have been affected worldwide globally, with 2,800 deaths

Meanwhile, in Italy where Venice Carnival and public Lenten religious gatherings have been canceled as a result, 20 people were arrested for selling masks for as much as 5,000 euros ($5,520) each, under the claim they offered full protection from COVID-19. 

From Europe, to Asia and now Wall Street, stocks have continued to fall as public concern for the spread of the virus grows.