Sisters of Charity – Halifax

Share Share Share
Tags: Radical Joy, Catholic Education, Catholics, Charity, Faith

In 1809, Elizabeth founded the Sisters of Charity, the first American congregation of religious Sisters that focused on children, education and the poor. In 1849, four New York Sisters of Charity sailed to Halifax to start a new mission. Seven years later, they formed an independent congregation known as the Sisters of Charity-Halifax.

The Sisters returned to New York as the parochial school system began to develop and the Sisters, likewise, began to expand their education ministry, opening 15 schools in New York and New Jersey between 1924 and 1964.